Fitzroy Harbour Village — A History
The Village of Fitzroy Harbour was established in the early 1800s by the pioneering Sheriff Family. Fitzroy Harbour was a different place then. Situated on the busy Ottawa River “highway” at the foot of Chats Falls, folks travelling north would stay overnight in one of several Fitzroy Harbour hotels. After taking in the atmosphere at one of the many saloons, they would engage a stagecoach ride to Arnprior where they would board another boat on the way north.
In the early 1930’s Hydro began building the Fitzroy Power Station (also known as Chats Falls Power Station) and this brought hydro workers to the village that spurred new growth.